commons-user mailing list archives

From Torsten Curdt <>
Subject Re: [cli2] Negative number arguments seen as options
Date Sat, 31 May 2008 08:34:24 GMT

On May 31, 2008, at 03:27, sebb wrote:

> On 31/05/2008, Niall Pemberton <> wrote:
>> On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 8:12 PM, Emmanuel Bourg <>
>> wrote:
>>> The Avalon CLI code was imported in a branch of Commons CLI:
>> Ah OK - but were really not going to release that -would seem crazy
>> potentially have three different flavours out there to support (CLI1,
>> CLI2, CLI-avalaon).
> The original Excalibur Avalon CLI may be used by projects other than
> JMeter; if so, then it would be useful for them to have access to an
> updated bug fix version that does not require a major rewrite.
> The main motivation for making the Avalon version available was that
> at the time the other CLI versions were very far from being ready for
> use, whereas Avalon was working fine with the fixes applied in JMeter.
> Unfortunately nothing happened to it - or indeed the other CLI
> implementations - until recently so it was not as useful as I'd hoped.
> I think it has quite an easy API to use compared with CLI1.
> I don't know what the CLI2 API is like.
> But if no-one wants to use it - that's fine by me.
> JMeter can continue using its own copy.

My 2 cents here:

I wouldn't say "no-one wants it". I have always been amazed by
Avalon's code quality. I have hit the wall several times with CLI1 and
CLI2 was not yet mature enough. But since I don't see much movement in
this area I would be OK to accept a CLI avalon at least into the
commons sandbox and go from there.

It's kind of sad: the APIs are not big. With the time and energy we
have already put into the re-occurring threads about CLI we probably
could have already fixed the situation.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message