commons-user mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Bourg <ebo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [cli2] Negative number arguments seen as options
Date Sat, 31 May 2008 11:49:06 GMT
Russel Winder a écrit :

> This would still leave the CLI 1.x--2.x problem, the APIs are different.
> Past claims were that the 1.x API was not up to the task required of it.
> sebb's argument for the Avalon API seems to back this up.

The Avalon CLI looks closer to CLI1 than CLI2. I'd like to try adding
the missing features to CLI1 to have a good basic API first before
considering an hypothetical CLI2 API.

> Some people
> invented the 2.x API and then left the project to go stale.  Knowing why
> the 2.x team disintegrated is an important factor here.  Was it everyone
> got new jobs and had no time to work on it, or was it there was so much
> technical feuding that progress was impossible.

I looked at the CLI2 API and it seems much more complex, there are some
concepts I'm not sure to agree with like the integrated i18n support or
the excessive usage of interfaces/implementations. The CLI1 API seems
much more straightforward to improve right now.

Emmanuel Bourg