commons-user mailing list archives

From Ole Ersoy <ole.er...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Catalina.out and pid-file owned by root
Date Fri, 09 May 2008 16:35:16 GMT
Gunnar,

My understanding is that if you launch Tomcat fresh (Never been started before) it will create
catalina.out and the pid-file, and since it's running at a non-root user (Say user tomcat),
user tomcat will own the pid and the catalina.out file, as well as any other files created
at runtime.

If you already started tomcat as root, then catalina.out is root owned.  Just chown it to
whatever user you are running as and I would also chmod catalina.out permissions to 600 so
that only tomcat can read and write to it.

Cheers,
- Ole