commons-user mailing list archives

From Russel Winder <russel.win...@concertant.com>
Subject Re: [cli2] Negative number arguments seen as options
Date Sat, 31 May 2008 08:05:45 GMT
On Fri, 2008-05-30 at 23:52 +0200, Emmanuel Bourg wrote:

> I'm going to convert the Avalon CLI test case to the Commons CLI API to
> see what features are missing. I'll see if these features can be
> implemented in CLI. So maybe we'll have a "common" API at last.

This would still leave the CLI 1.x--2.x problem, the APIs are different.
Past claims were that the 1.x API was not up to the task required of it.
sebb's argument for the Avalon API seems to back this up.  Some people
invented the 2.x API and then left the project to go stale.  Knowing why
the 2.x team disintegrated is an important factor here.  Was it everyone
got new jobs and had no time to work on it, or was it there was so much
technical feuding that progress was impossible.

So given that Google lands people looking for command line interpreters
with pages such as:

http://java-source.net/open-source/command-line

the Commons CLI as a project needs to take a view.

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder                 Partner

Concertant LLP                   t: +44 20 7585 2200, +44 20 7193 9203
41 Buckmaster Road,              f: +44 8700 516 084
London SW11 1EN, UK.             m: +44 7770 465 077