commons-user mailing list archives

From Russel Winder <russel.win...@concertant.com>
Subject Re: [cli2] Negative number arguments seen as options
Date Sat, 31 May 2008 07:54:08 GMT
On Fri, 2008-05-30 at 20:01 +0100, sebb wrote:

> > I guess this raises a critical question:
>
> I don't see it as critical myself ...

Not critical to the JMeter project I agree, but it is critical to all
those people wondering what to do about command-line support.  There are
a large number of packages out there all claiming to be the "one true
way".  The fact that different Apache projects use different systems and
fork their own completely undermines any confidence in Commons CLI -- if
JMeter doesn't use Commons CLI then that is clearly a statement that an
Apache project has no confidence in the Apache project that is supposed
to represent the Apache way of doing things.

(OK, overstated, but you get my point I think.)

> >  Will JMeter remove its fork of
> >  Commons CLI, put the fixes into Commons CLI 1.2 and then depend on
> >  Commons CLI 1.2 -- or alternatively remove the Commons CLI 1.x fork and
> >  depend on Commons CLI 2.0-SNAPSHOT?
>
> Neither, as the CLI1 and CLI2 have a different API.
>
> However, if the Avalon CLI were released, then JMeter could depend on
> it, and drop its own copy of the code.

Quod erat demonstrandum, I'm afraid.
--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder                 Partner

Concertant LLP                   t: +44 20 7585 2200, +44 20 7193 9203
41 Buckmaster Road,              f: +44 8700 516 084
London SW11 1EN, UK.             m: +44 7770 465 077