commons-user mailing list archives

From "F. Andy Seidl" <fase...@myst-technology.com>
Subject RE: apache commons net
Date Wed, 21 May 2008 15:07:51 GMT
Consider uploading *two* files:  the one you want to process followed by a
1-byte "semaphore" file that is used to signal the server process that
action is needed.

The server process watches for the existence of the semaphore file and, when
seen, processes the primary file and then deletes both files.

If there is the possibility of multiple concurrent uploads, you could refine
strategy along these lines:

* Semaphore files use a .fin extension.

* Each semaphore file has a GUID filename to avoid collisions.

* The content of the semaphore file is the filename of the primary file to
be processed on line one and "END" on line two.

* The server process validates the .fin file by checking for END on line two
and an existing file to process matching the name on line one.

-- fas

F. Andy Seidl
MyST-Technology Partners, Inc.