commons-user mailing list archives

From Fred Toth <ft...@synernet.com>
Subject jsvc: app won't bind to socket when started as root
Date Mon, 21 Apr 2008 21:45:09 GMT
Hi all,

We've run into a problem with jsvc. In our environment we need to run tomcat
as root so that it can bind to several low numbered ports.

However, when using the "-user root" argument to jsvc, tomcat still
can't bind
to the ports.

If we run tomcat directly (as root) with its "startup.sh", everything
works fine.

In researching this, I found a reference where someone claimed there was
a problem
with the set_cap() capabilities support in jsvc. I've looked at the
source, but I don't know
enough about how that's supposed to work to know if it's correct or not.
I was
hoping to find a patch somewhere, but no luck so far.

Has anyone on the list run into this? Is there a patch available? Or a
work-around?

Many thanks,

Fred Toth