commons-user mailing list archives

From Luc Maisonobe <Luc.Maison...@free.fr>
Subject Re: [math] Fit polynomial through a set of points, +2 degree
Date Fri, 04 Apr 2008 19:22:49 GMT
Al Lelopath a écrit :
> I need to fit a polynomial through a set of points.
> I have done this using the [math]LevenbergMarquardtEstimator with a
> quadratic equations.
> It may arise, however, that a 2nd degree polynomial may not be
> sufficient to fit some sets of points,
> and these would require 3rd degree, or more.
>
> What can be done with respect to this in [math]?

I see two possible approaches.

The first one is simply to still use Levenberg-Marquardt and simply
adapt the problem to higher degrees. It is quite simple, even in a
generic way (see the fitting package in mantissa, which is the library
the estimation package comes from:
http://www.spaceroots.org/mantissa-doc/org/spaceroots/mantissa/fitting/PolynomialFitter.html).

It is possible with the current status of [math] (i.e. 1.2 release).

The second one is to add a specific approach for this problem, because
it is a very common one and needs to be addressed efficiently.

My personal choice would be to use first approach temporarily, waiting
for the second approach to be included. It could be included simply.

Luc