commons-user mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [cli] method to convert a string (which is a whole command line) into an array (of arguments)
Date Wed, 02 Apr 2008 22:40:58 GMT
On 02/04/2008, Daniel Tripp <dtripp@mdisolutions.com> wrote:
> Let X represent what I'm looking for.
>
>  X differs from split() in that X will handle quotes, spaces, and slashes in
>  a sensible, command-lineish way, whereas split() does not.

Which OS(es) are you targetting?
Different OSes handle quotes and slashes in quite different ways.

CLI expects to be passed the argument list from the OS, and it is Java
that splits up the initial command-line after it has been processed by
the OS.

So are you looking to emulate that?
In which case, perhaps the Harmony project has some code that will do
what you want.

There's another set of problems to be solved if you want to generate
command-lines for Runtime.exec(), because you may need to protect
against variable interpolation by the OS.