commons-user mailing list archives

From "Spies, Brennan" <Brennan.Sp...@ejgallo.com>
Subject RE: [ANNOUNCE] Release of Commons Proxy 1.0
Date Thu, 06 Mar 2008 21:57:00 GMT

James,

Actually, I was just being facetious about the first part. Thanks for the
info, though. Regarding #1, what about creating an interface (e.g.,
IProxyFactory) and making all the existing classes implement it? This would
be compatible with any existing code based on the lib. Just a thought.
Regarding #2, great idea. Most uses of dynamic proxies are a single interface
with the current ClassLoader.

Regards,

Brennan Spies
Sr. Programmer Analyst
Shared Application Services

-----Original Message-----
From: jcarman@carmanconsulting.com [mailto:jcarman@carmanconsulting.com] On
Behalf Of James Carman
Sent: Thursday, March 06, 2008 12:33 PM
To: Jakarta Commons Users List
Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] Release of Commons Proxy 1.0

Mr. Spies,

Commons Proxy has been around for quite some time.  I proposed the
project in August 2005.  It graduated to the Commons "proper" just
last September/October.

1.  Originally, ProxyFactory was an interface, but in order to help
maintain backward compatibility between releases, it was deemed more
appropriate (if less pure from an OO perspective) to make it a class.

2.  Yes, we'll probably cut a 2.0 release in the near future (1.1
should be out soon that supports serializing the proxies) that has
been JD5-ized.  Unfortunately, it might not be completely genericized.
 The methods take multiple classes that the proxy should support (one
of the gripes on HiveMind was that we couldn't support multiple
"service interfaces").  I might introduce genericized helper methods
like this:

public <T> createDelegatorProxy(ObjectProvider<T> provider, Class<T>
proxyInterface)

That would take care of a good percentage of the use cases.  Most
folks only use one interface/class for the proxy.

I hope Commons Proxy can be of use to you.  If you have any issues or
questions, feel free to ping the users list.  The traffic might get
others interested too! :)

James

On 3/6/08, Spies, Brennan <Brennan.Spies@ejgallo.com> wrote:
> Very cool and useful. Kind of funny, because I wrote something about a year
>  ago almost identical in functionality to the "Delegator" piece (where were
>  you guys then? <wink>), Javassist and CGLIB implementations included.
>
>  Just two questions:
>
>  1) Why isn't ProxyFactory an interface? This makes more sense when using
the
>  lib, esp. in DI frameworks.
>
>  2) I know that Apache Java libs tend to favor compatibility with Java 1.4
and
>  earlier, but a lot of these classes/methods look like good candidates for
>  generics. Has there been any thought given to having a Java 5 version of
the
>  lib with these?
>
>  Thanks,
>
>  Brennan Spies