commons-user mailing list archives

From Gert Vanthienen <>
Subject FTPClient.listFiles() returns 0 files when files exist
Date Sat, 01 Mar 2008 12:21:43 GMT

Last night, our FTP polling component just stopped receiving files.  Looking
into the problem, I discovered that the FTPClient.listFiles() returns an
array of length 0, even if there are files on the FTP server.  touch'ing the
files on the FTP server got things moving again, but I was doing a network
trace (using WireShark -- attaching trace.pcap  with Nabble) to
determine what the difference was and I can't figure it out: the data going
over the wire always seems to contain a list of two files in both cases
(frame 12272 is the data right before the touch, 12657 is right after the

Any ideas?

P.S. To Rory: April last year, I promised you to try out the 2.0 RC snapshot
to try and resolve a problem with the FTP poller stalling after some time
It took me a bit longer than expected ;), but I don't think it really solves
the issue.  Would it help if we would close the FTP connection and reopen it
after e.g. 30 min instead of keeping an open connection all the time?

Gert Vanthienen
Sent from the Commons - User mailing list archive at

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message