commons-user mailing list archives

From <christian.migow...@lhsystems.com>
Subject AW: commons-configuration reload() how to do it?
Date Fri, 25 Jan 2008 07:15:06 GMT
Hi Oliver,

thanks for your advice!

> Your observation that reload() only performs a reload if the
> reloading
> strategy considers this necessary (which is never for the default
> reloading strategy) is correct.
> Maybe an overloaded reload() method with a boolean force flag
> would make
> sense to make this more convenient?

Yes. For me it seems most logical to hide the current reload method
(rename it to something like reload_internal() and make it private) and
create a reload method which actually reloads.
In the current implementation, the reload() method is useless (from a
users point of view): either it does not reload or the config will be
automatically reloaded when a property is accessed - no need to call
reload().

I understand the rationale behind the reload approach in
commons-configuration, but i think it is a common use case to load
config, work with it and at some point of time explicitly reload it. If
you don't agree, a hint in the documentation (explicitly calling reload
does nothing for you) would help other users for sure.

thanks again,
best regards,

christian!

----

Sitz der Gesellschaft / Corporate Headquarters:
Lufthansa Systems Infratec GmbH, Kelsterbach
Registereintragung / Registration:
Amtsgericht Darmstadt 83851

Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats /
Chairman of the Supervisory Board: