commons-user mailing list archives

From Luc Maisonobe <Luc.Maison...@free.fr>
Subject Re: [math] Minimizer
Date Tue, 15 Jan 2008 19:21:21 GMT
mickeydog@TaosNet.com a écrit :
> sorry .. curve OR surface
>
>> Does the math API have a minimizer?
>>
>> I have a curve of surface that is guaranteed to have one minimum.
>> How would I use apache commons to find it?

The current subversion tree provides an
org.apache.commons.math.optimization package which contains a
Levenberg-Marquardt least squares solver. For a 2D surface in a 3D
space, you could say your problem is to find the pair (x,y) that
minimizes z^2 with z=f(x,y). For a 1D problem, you may prefer to solve
f'(x) = 0 using one of the existing root solvers.

The optimization code has not been released for now (it will be part of
the 1.2 release), but it is quite stable. You will find examples in the
archive of this list.

Luc