commons-user mailing list archives

From <Torsten.Ro...@teliasonera.com>
Subject RE: DBCP Locking Up?
Date Thu, 06 Dec 2007 10:31:37 GMT
Mark,

This helps a lot, I haven't noticed the thread blocking, waiting for a database connection.
We were already suspecting the database, since it is really loaded.

We'll now try to optimize our settings, the settings of the pool such as enabling statement
pooling, and the iBatis settings.

We have already ordered new servers for the database ;-)

Thanks for your help!

Torsten

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Thomas [mailto:markt@apache.org]
Sent: 5. december 2007 20:59
To: Jakarta Commons Users List
Subject: Re: DBCP Locking Up?

Mark Thomas wrote:
> Torsten.Romer@teliasonera.com wrote:
>> Hello Mark,
>>
>> We are using DBCP 1.2.2 with Pool 1.3 and have the JAR files in the webapp (WEB-INF/lib).
Tomcat version is 5.5.

> I am trying to work out if you are hitting a known issue or have found a
> new one. Can you provide the entire thread dump rather than just the
> extract? You can send it directly to me if you don't want to post it to the
> list.

OK, the relevant thread is below. This thread, which looks like it is
waiting for a response from the database, has got the lock on the
connection pool that is blocking all of your other db related threads. A
quick Google doesn't shed a huge amount of light on the issue. The
following were mentioned as possible causes:
- tablespace full
- one connection editing a row, not committing and another connection
trying to edit the same row

Neither of these seem to be relevant to not being able to create a
connection. I would take a look at the database to see why this thread
appears to be taking so long to be creating a new connection.

HTH,

Mark

"TP-Processor38" daemon prio=10 tid=0x007b4800 nid=0x39 runnable
[0x963fe000..0x96401908]
   java.lang.Thread.State: RUNNABLE
	at oracle.net.ns.Packet.receive(Unknown Source)
	at oracle.net.ns.DataPacket.receive(Unknown Source)
	at oracle.net.ns.NetInputStream.getNextPacket(Unknown Source)
	at oracle.net.ns.NetInputStream.read(Unknown Source)
	at oracle.net.ns.NetInputStream.read(Unknown Source)
	at oracle.net.ns.NetInputStream.read(Unknown Source)
	at oracle.jdbc.driver.T4CMAREngine.unmarshalUB1(T4CMAREngine.java:1104)
	at oracle.jdbc.driver.T4CMAREngine.unmarshalSB1(T4CMAREngine.java:1075)
	at oracle.jdbc.driver.T4C8TTIpro.receive(T4C8TTIpro.java:131)
	at oracle.jdbc.driver.T4CConnection.connect(T4CConnection.java:879)
	at oracle.jdbc.driver.T4CConnection.logon(T4CConnection.java:268)
	at oracle.jdbc.driver.PhysicalConnection.<init>(PhysicalConnection.java:439)
	at oracle.jdbc.driver.T4CConnection.<init>(T4CConnection.java:165)
	at
oracle.jdbc.driver.T4CDriverExtension.getConnection(T4CDriverExtension.java:35)
	at oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver.connect(OracleDriver.java:801)
	at
org.apache.commons.dbcp.DriverConnectionFactory.createConnection(DriverConnectionFactory.java:38)
	at
org.apache.commons.dbcp.PoolableConnectionFactory.makeObject(PoolableConnectionFactory.java:294)
	- locked <0xa0d7ef00> (a org.apache.commons.dbcp.PoolableConnectionFactory)
	at
org.apache.commons.pool.impl.GenericObjectPool.borrowObject(GenericObjectPool.java:840)
	- locked <0xa0c50750> (a org.apache.commons.pool.impl.GenericObjectPool)
	at
org.apache.commons.dbcp.PoolingDataSource.getConnection(PoolingDataSource.java:96)
	at
org.apache.commons.dbcp.BasicDataSource.getConnection(BasicDataSource.java:880)