commons-user mailing list archives

From "Wes Clark" <wcl...@guidewire.com>
Subject RE: Adding nodes in an XMLConfiguration, but not at the end
Date Wed, 19 Dec 2007 17:37:43 GMT

Do you control the XSD?  Add an attribute to the Cluster such as
clusterNum or something if the ordering is important.

<Cluster clusternum="2"> ....

What does the order matter anyway?

-----Original Message-----
From: Oliver Heger [mailto:oliver.heger@oliver-heger.de]
Sent: Wednesday, December 19, 2007 9:33 AM
To: Jakarta Commons Users List
Subject: Re: Adding nodes in an XMLConfiguration, but not at the end

Thorsten Lampe wrote:
> Is there any way of adding a piece of configuration (i.e. an element)
not to the END of a list as can be done with something like
> (cp. website examples)
>

> // Add new table "tasks" with name element and type attribute
>
> config.addProperty("tables table/name", "tasks");
>

> but rather IN BETWEEN two existing elements? I've got the following
sub configuration:

>   <Clusters>
>
>     <Cluster>
>
>       <Name>MyCluster1</Name>
>
>       <URL>http://something.org</URL>
>
>     </Cluster>
>
>     <Cluster>
>
>        <Name>MyCluster3</Name>
>
>        <URL>http://anotherthing.org</URL>
>
>     </Cluster>
>
>    </Clusters>
>

> Now I have to programatically add another cluster configuration in
between the existing clusters "MyCluster1" and "MyCluster3". Any ideas
how this can be achieved using
> commons configuration or is this not supported at all? I really did
not find any way of doing this!

> Thanks for any help,
>

> Thorsten

There does not seem to be a trivial way to achieve this with the
existing API. This feature has never been requested so far.

Maybe the concept of an order is somewhat unusual when dealing with
configuration settings? You normally only are interested whether a
property exists and what its value is. Java's preferences API for
instance does not support ordered properties either. What you want,
seems to be more in the domain of XML processing.

Oliver