commons-user mailing list archives

From Oliver Heger <oliver.he...@oliver-heger.de>
Subject Re: [Commons Configuration] XML Schema support, and other questions
Date Tue, 11 Dec 2007 20:49:16 GMT
Hi, comments inline...

Spies, Brennan wrote:
> Hi all,
>

> I am considering using Commons Configuration for my project, but am not sure
> if I would be able to do the type of configuration that I want.
>

> Some background:
>

> I am writing a project that uses two sources of configuration, LDAP and XML
> (local). The LDAP properties represent "reserved" (user cannot override) and
> "default" properties (user can override), while the local XML file
> (user-defined) represents all the user-controlled configuration
> properties-some have defaults in LDAP, some don't. The CompositeConfiguration
> seems to support that, so far so good.
CompositeConfiguration and also DefaultConfigurationBuilder allow to
define an order of configuration sources in which to search for
properties. So if your configurations are correctly ordered, you can
achieve the desired behavior.

> The XML file is defined by an XML Schema, and has namespaces associated with
> it. Namespaces seems to muck with XPath expressions, as you have to use XPath
> functions like 'local-name()' to correctly get the path. It looks like
> Commons Configuration only supports DTDs...:-(

That's right, so far only DTDs are supported.

> The other thing that I am doing is using a mix of properties (key = value)
> and actual beans which I am binding (on the XML end) using JAXB.
Not sure if I understand this requirement correctly. You can parse a XML
file with XMLConfiguration no matter of its content. If some parts of
the document do not represent properties, they do not disturb the
parsing process. As long as you specify the correct keys to your
properties you can access them.

HTH
Oliver