commons-user mailing list archives

From Oliver Heger <oliver.he...@oliver-heger.de>
Subject Re: [Configuration] getList returns an empty list if the underlying configuration file is touched
Date Wed, 05 Dec 2007 20:40:02 GMT
Tom Muldoon wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm running into a problem in which the getList operation returns an
> empty List if and when the underlying configuration file is updated (I
> am leveraging the FileChangedReloadingStrategy). I am using Commons
> Configuration 1.4 with the DefaultConfigurationBuilder in conjunction
> with the XPathExpressionEngine. Please note, other operations, getString
> for example, work fine.
>
> Here's an excerpt from my configuration.xml file ...
>
>     <xml fileName="retroplan-config.xml" config-name="retroplan"
> config-optional="true" throwExceptionOnMissing="false">
>         <reloadingStrategy refreshDelay="1000"
> config-class="org.apache.commons.configuration.reloading.FileChangedRelo
> adingStrategy"/>
>     </xml>
>
> So, with that said, are there known issues with the 1.4 implementation
> of the FileChangedReloadingStrategy and/or the getList operation that
> would explain this behavior?
>
> Thanks, Tom

There are no open issues with getList() and FileChangedReloadingStrategy
I am aware of.

At first I would like to ask you to update to Commons Configuration 1.5,
which has been released recently. Don't know whether this will help, but
just in case.

If the problem persists, I need some more information to reproduce it:

- A code fragment demonstrating how you access the configuration.
- A fragment of the configuration file with the properties you try to
access.
- In which way is the configuration file changed on disk? Was the key
you try to access just added?
- What happens if you pass the key you use for getList() into
getString() or some other method? (In this case the first element of the
list should be returned.)
- Does getList() work after getString() was called?

Oliver