commons-user mailing list archives

From "Spies, Brennan" <Brennan.Sp...@ejgallo.com>
Subject [Commons Configuration] XML Schema support, and other questions
Date Tue, 11 Dec 2007 20:04:00 GMT
Hi all,

I am considering using Commons Configuration for my project, but am not sure
if I would be able to do the type of configuration that I want.

Some background:

I am writing a project that uses two sources of configuration, LDAP and XML
(local). The LDAP properties represent "reserved" (user cannot override) and
"default" properties (user can override), while the local XML file
(user-defined) represents all the user-controlled configuration
properties-some have defaults in LDAP, some don't. The CompositeConfiguration
seems to support that, so far so good.

The XML file is defined by an XML Schema, and has namespaces associated with
it. Namespaces seems to muck with XPath expressions, as you have to use XPath
functions like 'local-name()' to correctly get the path. It looks like
Commons Configuration only supports DTDs...:-(

The other thing that I am doing is using a mix of properties (key = value)
and actual beans which I am binding (on the XML end) using JAXB.

So, can I achieve what I want using Commons Configuration and maybe a little
custom coding? Or should I write this one myself?

Thanks,

Brennan