commons-user mailing list archives

From simon <simon.kitch...@chello.at>
Subject RE: get image dimensions before upload?
Date Thu, 13 Dec 2007 22:06:14 GMT
Hi Andres,

Your example code does check before the data is written to disk on the
server, but after the data is transferred over the network.

But the question (as I understand it) was whether it is possible to
check the dimensions *before* the file is transferred from the client
machine to the server, ie whether it is possible to get the web-browser
to do this check.

And the answer (short of something like activex) is no.

Hmm..well, I guess a signed applet could be used in the page instead of
a normal file-upload control. That could then perform any desired
checks. That's a pretty big job though, and as a user of this website I
would not necessarily want to allow the applets to run on my machine
with filesystem access rights...

Regards,

Simon