commons-user mailing list archives

From "Rahul Akolkar" <rahul.akol...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Parallelism in SCXML
Date Thu, 15 Nov 2007 18:23:46 GMT
On 11/14/07, Amit <deokar.amit@gmail.com> wrote:
> I was wondering if the Commons SCXML implementation or the dialog manager
> application in the Shale framework provides support for parallelism and
> synchronization in state charts. If not, is any one available of frameworks
> that provide such support. The goal is develop a web application with
> different user roles having different statecharts associated with them,
> which can be executed in parallel and synchronized on certain actions, in a
> collaborative session.

<snip/>

Commons SCXML supports the <parallel> construct (and thereby,
scenarios similar to what you describe can be achieved at a state
machine level of abstraction).

The SCXML implementation of the Shale dialog manager is a fairly thin
wrapper over the Commons SCXML runtime to provide Shale dialog
management facilities. The current implementation is geared towards
single user scenarios -- i.e., it does not provide any first-class
support for collaborative dialogs (beyond parent-child dialog
associations). Collaboration could be achieved (externally) by
leveraging the various dialog listeners, and tying together various
simultaneous dialogs in an application-specific, collaborative way.

In theory, it is possible to architect principled solutions for
parallelism (and/or some notion of collaborative dialogs) for web
applications using the SCXML <parallel> construct. However, that will
need work.

-Rahul