commons-user mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [vfs] FTP File is Not a File?
Date Thu, 29 Nov 2007 02:43:28 GMT
On 29/11/2007, James Carman <james@carmanconsulting.com> wrote:
> I accidentally posted this on the dev list earlier.  I meant to send
> it to user@.  Sorry for cross-posting.
>
> Can someone else try this out, please?  I don't know what's going on
> here.  I can access the file by pasting the URL into my browser(s) and
> via a text-based FTP client, but I can't get Java to download it.  I
> tried using URL objects and that doesn't work either.  I figured VFS
> would be able to handle it:
>
> FileSystemManager fsm = VFS.getManager();
> FileObject fo =
> fsm.resolveFile("ftp://rgd.mcw.edu/pub/data_release/README.txt");
> fo.getContent();
>
> If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.  Thanks.

I tried with the FTP sampler in JMeter, and it gives the following error:

Response message: 503 Login with USER first

This does not happen with the browser; I assume it automatically
performs an anonymous login.

If I add an anonymous login to the FTP sampler it then works.

Sorry, I've no idea whether VFS handles logins or not.

But I would have thought it should give a suitable error if the
problem is due to lack of login details...