commons-user mailing list archives

From "Narahari 'n' Savitha" <savith...@gmail.com>
Subject DateUtils confusion possibly a bug ?
Date Thu, 25 Oct 2007 14:55:03 GMT
Friends,

This might have been asked before but I am unable to find a searchable
archive for the LANG.

Here it is.

In the Example 1. which uses the DateUtisl.parseDate method the date I am
providing is 14/32/2007. This is an invalid date but since the parseDate
method uses a LENIENT SimpleDateFormat  object the dates are being parsed as
valid.  This is not something that will help me.  I would rather, this throw
a ParseException.

Could we add a method called parseDateStrict or provide a setter/getter to
set the strict attribute so that can in turn set the attribute on the
SimpleDateFormat method ?

We could also allow a mechanish where the caller provides the
SimpleDateFormat object which can be used to set the attributest that the
user wants on the parser.

Please see Example 2 which is what I was thinking the parseDate method would
do.

Thanks for your time and attention.
-Narahari

Example 1:

try {
         String [] patternArray  = { "MM/dd/yyyy"};
         Calendar c =DateUtils.parseDate("14/32/2007", patternArray);
         Date d = c.getTime();
     } catch(Exception e) {
         assertTrue("It should only be a parse exception", (e instanceof
ParseException));
     }

Example 2:

try {
         SimpleDateFormat sdf = new SimpleDateFormat("MM/dd/yyyy");
         sdf.setLenient(false);
         Date d = sdf.parse("14/32/2007");