commons-user mailing list archives

From "Qingtian Wang" <qingtian.w...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: codec - thread safe
Date Sun, 07 Oct 2007 17:25:43 GMT
On 10/7/07, simon <simon.kitching@chello.at> wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-10-06 at 23:31 -0500, Qingtian Wang wrote:
> > Well, it's pick-your-poison kind of a deal. Either block on one
> > instance and take a performance hit, or burn up the memory with lots
> > of instances.....
> >
> > But in the case of BCodec, I think encode/decode is thread safe.
> > Unfortunately per Henri, that's not generally true for others.
> >
> > Well, let me make it clear that I am a total layman on codec. But it
> > seems to me it's not that difficult to implement all the codec methods
> > in a thread safe manner, without sync blocks.
> >
> > Can the dev team make that happen? - a humble request from a user.
>
> The think about open source is that there is no distinction between
> developer and user.

That's interesting. Why then almost all open source projects have
"users doc vs. developer doc", "users mailing list vs. developers
mailing list"....?

> The developers develop because they want to use the
> code. And when somebody wants to use a feature that doesn't exist, then
> they can develop it.
>
> In short, if you want this feature, you can do this yourself and post a
> patch to this list so it gets included in the next release. There is no
> paid "dev team" for any of the commons code.

OK i see. My intention was just to bring up an issue/request. There is
no saying the developers are obligated to work on it. And contributing
code is certainly not the only way of involving with an open source
project. Nevertheless, if the dev team (unpaid as I understand it)
wants the project to be more popular, it might help listening to what
other users have to say other than themselves; otherwise just forget
about it.

-Q