commons-user mailing list archives

From Torsten Curdt <tcu...@apache.org>
Subject Re: codec - thread safe
Date Sun, 07 Oct 2007 19:37:01 GMT
>>> Can the dev team make that happen? - a humble request from a user.
>>
>> The think about open source is that there is no distinction between
>> developer and user.
>
> That's interesting. Why then almost all open source projects have
> "users doc vs. developer doc", "users mailing list vs. developers
> mailing list"....?

Point taken. But this is more about the presentation of information.
Still the distinction is blurry as many developers and contributors
come initially from the user background. They felt the itch to
improve the code and ended up providing the fix/feature
themselves ...I guess we are trying to get you to do the same :) You
should see that more as an invitation to help.

>> The developers develop because they want to use the
>> code. And when somebody wants to use a feature that doesn't exist,
>> then
>> they can develop it.
>>
>> In short, if you want this feature, you can do this yourself and
>> post a
>> patch to this list so it gets included in the next release. There
>> is no
>> paid "dev team" for any of the commons code.
>
> OK i see. My intention was just to bring up an issue/request. There is
> no saying the developers are obligated to work on it. And contributing
> code is certainly not the only way of involving with an open source
> project.

That is of course true. But I guess what Simon was wanting to point
out is that "requesting a feature" rarely means it gets done unless a
developer needs that feature too. The personal TODO lists are usually
very long. So usually you are better of contributing a patch
yourself ...or pay someone to do it for you. That's how it works.

> Nevertheless, if the dev team (unpaid as I understand it)
> wants the project to be more popular, it might help listening to what
> other users have to say other than themselves; otherwise just forget
> about it.

Well, sure ...listening is great - but someone gotta do it.
There is no us vs you, no dev vs user ....there is just us.

Does that make sense?

cheers
--
Torsten