commons-user mailing list archives

From "Henri Yandell" <flame...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: codec - thread safe
Date Sat, 06 Oct 2007 04:22:59 GMT
On 9/29/07, Qingtian Wang <qingtian.wang@gmail.com> wrote:
> I apologize for this question as it must have been asked a million
> times: I was unable to search the mailing list archive for this.
>
> Are all the "encode/decode" methods in commons-codec intended to be thread safe?
>
> I peeked into the source code for a couple of those methods. They both
> seem to be thread safe. But I'd rather ask here to make sure that's
> the general intention when the code is written.

I think you'll find it varies. The various algorithms come from
different sources, and though a common interface was put on them all,
I doubt that time was spent to make sure they were all threadsafe.

Looking at the objects, I see a few with private attributes that are
set at more than just construction time - so very likely that one or
another is thread unsafe.

Hen