commons-user mailing list archives

From "David J. Biesack" <David.Bies...@sas.com>
Subject Re: codec - thread safe
Date Mon, 08 Oct 2007 14:40:00 GMT
> Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2007 16:23:59 +0200
> From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?J=F6rg_Schaible?= <Joerg.Schaible@Elsag-Solutions.com>
>
> David J. Biesack wrote on Monday, October 08, 2007 3:02 PM:
>
> >> Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2007 23:31:19 -0500
> >> From: "Qingtian Wang" <qingtian.wang@gmail.com>
> >>
> >> Well, it's pick-your-poison kind of a deal. Either block on one
> >> instance and take a performance hit, or burn up the memory with lots
> >> of instances.....
> >
> > Why not compromise? Create a ThreadPoolExecutor ...
>
> Because it runs on JDK 1.3?

The java.util.concurrent backport http://backport-jsr166.sourceforge.net/ runs on 1.3, for
just this kind of use.

> However, that's the reason why I argumented not to promise thread-safety for any codec
and provide synchronization wrappers or a user might take the pool approach ... which is quite
easy with JDK 5 as you've provided here :)

I think it makes a lot of sense to document the thread safety attributes of Commons libraries.

--
David J. Biesack     SAS Institute Inc.
(919) 531-7771       SAS Campus Drive