commons-user mailing list archives

From "Madisetti, Sumesh " <sumesh.madise...@citi.com>
Subject RE: BeanUtils setProperty IllegalArgumentException: Null property value for property
Date Mon, 17 Sep 2007 12:07:28 GMT
Your digester rules files should be as follows -

The following digester file will parse the content below and return you an Address object
with a City object inside it and the name of it set to NYC.

<digester-rules>
	<pattern value="address">
		<object-create-rule classname="Address"/>
		<pattern value="city">
			<object-create-rule classname="City"/>
			<bean-property-setter-rule pattern="name" propertyname="name" />
			<set-next-rule methodname="addCity"/>
		</pattern>
</digester-rules>

Content-
<address>
</address>

-----Original Message-----
From: Néstor Boscán [mailto:nestor.boscan@tcs.com.ve]
Sent: Friday, September 14, 2007 9:38 PM
To: user@commons.apache.org
Subject: BeanUtils setProperty IllegalArgumentException: Null property value for property

Hi

I suppose that this has been asked and answered before but I can't find the solution. I have
some classes like this:

public class Address {
  private City city;

  public City getCity () { return city; }

  public void setCity (City city) { this.city = city; } }

public class City {
  private String name;

  public String getName ( return name; }

  public void setName (String name) { this.name = name; } }

And I'm trying to set the city's name like this:

PropertyUtils.setProperty (address, "city.name", "Toronto");

And I'm getting IllegalArgumentException: Null property value for 'name'.

Now I checked the 1.6 BeanUtils code and it doesn't instantiate the class anywhere. Is this
something that BeanUtils does?. If not does anybody knows another technology that can do this?

Regards,

Néstor Boscán