commons-user mailing list archives

From Oliver Heger <oliver.he...@oliver-heger.de>
Subject Re: [StrSubstitutor] Can StrSubstitutor be used without a prefix or suffix?
Date Mon, 10 Sep 2007 19:53:19 GMT
James Watkin wrote:
> I'd like to use org.apache.commons.lang.text.StrSubstitutor without a
> suffix requirement for the replacement targets, but it doesn't seem to
> support that. Is that correct?
>
> Although the doc for org.apache.commons.lang.text.StrSubstitutor
> disallows a null prefix or suffix in the constructor, it doesn't mention
> the empty string. I tried the empty string for the prefix and suffix but
> that didn't work.
>
> - Jim

By looking at the code, yes, it seems that a suffix is required.

How do the variables look like you are dealing with? Perhaps it is an
option to provide your own implementation of the StrMatcher class [1],
which is internally used for detecting prefixes and suffixes
(StrSubstitutor has methods that take such matchers instead of a prefix
and a suffix as string). This should not be too complicated.

HTH
Oliver

[1]
http://commons.apache.org/lang/api-release/org/apache/commons/lang/text/StrMatcher.html