commons-user mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: commons-cli 1.1 mutliple arguments
Date Sun, 02 Sep 2007 14:15:02 GMT
On 02/09/07, Russel Winder <russel@russel.org.uk> wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-09-02 at 10:50 +0100, sebb wrote:
> > On 02/09/07, Russel Winder <russel@russel.org.uk> wrote:
>
> > > Is Avalon CLI the same thing as Commons CLI 2.x ?
> >
> > No - it was originally part of Avalon/Excalibur.
> > As that project was defunct as far as I could tell, I extracted the
> > code to fix if for JMeter.
>
> So you didn't think Commons CLI was usable then :-(

CLI 1.0 was not suitable at the time; it also used a very different
way of defining options. Also used a slightly different command-line
syntax, as far as I could tell.

CLI 2.0 was only just starting.

> I had thought the Avalon CLI and the Commons CLI projects had come
> together to try and create a single CLI project for Apache Commons.  It

There are several different "standard" syntaxes for CLI arguments.

> seems thought hat people are going back to doing their own thing.
>
> I guess there is a lot of dithering going on.  Two aspects:
>
>        1.  Annotations or not.

Requires Java 1.5+ ??

>        2.  Fix Commons CLI or start again.
>
> For Groovy, annotations is not an option in the short term, but is in
> the long term.
>
> It would be nice if people dropped their home brewed CLI libraries and
> made one de facto standard.

If only there were a single standard command-line syntax that was
well-defined and documented, but there are at least two slightly
different ones.