commons-user mailing list archives

From noon <rami.muurim...@gmail.com>
Subject DBCP maxActive
Date Sat, 01 Sep 2007 19:42:19 GMT

We have a small performance issue in our project and I'm trying to locate the
problem.
The application is a Spring MVC application and the database has about 90
000 rows in the database. We're using DBCP as JDBC pooling tool. Now we have
realized that we're having some performance issues. The application has
about 100 - 150 users.

I just realized that we're using it with it's default values so the
maxActive setting is only 8. Do you think this might cause some performance
issues? If I increase the maxActive up to 40 is it enough? What is the
downside if I set it as 100 or -1 to indicate unlimited connections?

Another question regarding the DBCP.
Our Spring application is multilayered application with web, manager and dao
layers. When exactly does the DBCP give a JDBC connection to the
application? Just when the application needs a connection in the dao (I'm
using Hibernate as ORM + Spring's HibernateDaoSupport jdbc template class)?
or somewhere before? If I make let say 10 queries into the database in the
web or manager layer (each in differend daos), does my application request
for each dao access a new JDBC connection from the pool?

Sorry for newbie questions, but DBCP's internal life is a bit "gray area" at
the moment.