commons-user mailing list archives

From Russel Winder <rus...@russel.org.uk>
Subject Re: commons-cli 1.1 mutliple arguments
Date Sat, 01 Sep 2007 18:28:07 GMT
On Sat, 2007-09-01 at 09:45 -0700, Mark Fortner wrote:
> I suspect the problem is that you're using -D parameters (which are used to
> set java runtime environment variables) rather than your own options.  Also,
> I'm not aware of CLI supporting multiple option values in the same option.
> It would be better to simply add multiple options for the various parameters
> you are trying to capture.

I'm afraid the problem is that Commons CLI just has problems.  1.0 has
various bugs which Henri and others people have had a good go at fixing.
Unfortunately, despite all the bug fixes, 1.1 has a couple of
showstopping bugs which make it unusable -- for the Groovy project at
least.  I am going to take a look at 2.0 in the next couple of weeks,
but at the moment -- from the Groovy project perspective -- Commons CLI
is looking less and less viable.  Many on the team want to ditch using
it now and move to something home grown or switch to jopt-simple or
possibly Args4J when we switch to Java 5.

> If you must put all of those parameter name/value pairs into a single
> option, it might be better to do it like this:
>
> -P value=key,nextvalue=newkey,hello=world
>
> You can then split them using the "," delimiter, and split them again using
> the "=" delimiter to get the name/value pairs that you want.
>
> Hope this helps,

The problem is that commands lines with:

are exactly what is needed.  If Commons CLI cannot handle such command
lines (and currently 1.1 cannot) then it is not an alternative.

Unfortunately, I don't have the time to be able to wade in and try and
create a suitable fixing patch.  Commons CLI though needs effort sooner
rather than later or it will not be a live project.

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder                       t: +44 20 7585 2200