commons-user mailing list archives

From "Mark Fortner" <phidia...@gmail.com>
Subject [CLI] HelpFormatter Question
Date Wed, 22 Aug 2007 14:43:20 GMT
I have an application that consists of a series of plugins.  There are a
couple of options that are global (such as "output directory", or "input
file").  In addition, each plugin has it's own OptionGroup.  I would like to
be able print the help for the application in such a way that it's obvious
to the users which options go with which plugin, something like this:

jartool
    -i  --input    The input file or directory
    -o --output  The output file or directory
    -c --cp         Include JARs in classpath

    LicenseExtractorPlugin    Extracts license files from JAR files
         -x --licenseExtractor
         -r --rules   [Optional] Use external rules file to locate license

    FindClassPlugin  Finds a class within the JAR file
         -f  --find          The regular expression for the class you want
to find.

Is there a way of doing this with the HelpFormatter?  If not, are there any
plans on making the HelpFormatter pluggable in CLI2?  I could foresee the
need to use Velocity or other mechanisms to format the help.

Regards,

Mark Fortner