commons-user mailing list archives

From "Mark Fortner" <phidia...@gmail.com>
Subject [all] Standardized Manifest For Commons JARs
Date Mon, 20 Aug 2007 05:13:55 GMT
I've been working on a project to help catalog the JARs that we use and the
concomitant licenses that they employ so that we can more easily comply with
sections 4a and 4c of the APL without having to do a lot work to compile the
license information.  I thought at first this would be fairly simple to do,
given that all of the Commons projects (that we use) have manifests.
However, I soon discovered that the manifests have a variety of different
attributes and aren't really standardized.

I was wondering if it would be possible in the next release(s) if the leads
for the projects could modify the manifests (or the ant/maven builds that
generated them) to include the following information:

License Type: APL
License Version: 2.0
License URL: http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0.txt

or

License URL: /license.txt
if you've included the license file in the jar file.

This would help us insure that we're providing the appropriate license
information when distributing Apache libraries with our code.

Regards,

Mark Fortner