commons-user mailing list archives

From Matt Benson <gudnabr...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: Problem with JXPath 1.3 - Registering Namespaces
Date Wed, 08 Aug 2007 19:44:10 GMT

--- "Mcduffey, Joe" <jdmcduf@nsa.gov> wrote:

> Guess that's not what I meant. If JXPath isn't
> robust enough to support me what package is?

:)  I am not the XML guru, that's for sure.  As such I
couldn't recommend a better package for your needs.
If I haven't said it enough times, I became a user of
JXPath for its ability to apply XPath to a Java object
graph.  I became the steward of JXPath because, as a
user, I had an interest in seeing a new version
released, and nobody else seemed to be making it
happen.  Since coming to commons to work on JXPath I
have had to learn a lot about XML standards, but
there's still much I don't know, I'm sure.  Again, I
tend to agree that once the ri is working in DOM or
JDOM, those pointer types should be able to create
nested child elements with as much ease as they can
attributes; because this is not the case wrt Java
object graphs, and (I assume) because the Java side
was JXPath's original focus, the XML handling
delegates to AbstractFactory as does the Java side.
To preserve backward compatibility we should still
delegate to the AbstractFactory first, but I don't see
that causing a problem.  I will try to add this in the
near future--very near; again, before 1.3 goes out the
door!

-Matt

> Once again my Concept of Operations is:
> 1. I get a list of XPaths
> 2. I read the XPaths to be able to create node
> 3. Once the nodes are created I perform an XPath
> Query to obtain a result set

JXPathContext.createPathAndSetValue("A:ElementB[1],"value");

> namespace
> the
> > >
> > > Hi, Joe.  It's more a case of "what is the deal
> > with
> > > attributes?"  It just so happens that a DOM or
> > JDOM
> > > element node knows how to set its attributes.
> Not
> > > so
> > > for elements.  In this case you must implement
> and
> > > set
> > > an AbstractFactory on your JXPathContext.
> > >
> > > HTH,
> > > Matt

JXPathContext.registerNamespace("myns","urn:/myspace");

JXPathContext.createPathAndSetValue("ElementA[1]/@A:mystuff,"value");

org.apache.common.ri.model.dom.DOMNodePointer.createAttribute