commons-user mailing list archives

From "Henri Yandell" <flame...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Commons CLI issue
Date Tue, 14 Aug 2007 14:16:09 GMT
On 8/13/07, Russel Winder <russel@russel.org.uk> wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-08-13 at 09:19 +0200, Torsten Curdt wrote:
>
> > Please - please don't fork. I am sure we will get your patches in. We
> > just need someone to push for it.

+1

> I believe Henri is more interested in the 1.x branch, which is why the 2.x
> branch has not been progressed, but I am speaking from a position of
> fairly deep ignorance.

I'm equally interested :)

Getting a 1.1 release out made the most sense with the time available
- plus Brian was energetic in that direction. When I tried to use CLI2
I didn't like the API a lot, but I was just dabbling and not trying to
get the extra features that it supports (I assume). I seem to recall I
found it much more verbose than CLI1 which surprised me.

Now my energy for CLI is squarely available for CLI2 if there's
interest out there.

I can see a CLI 1.2 someday if need be, but hopefully it'll just be a
few bugfixes and we can have people use the snapshots for that branch.

> Clearly 1.1 has many bug fixes over 1.0 and so would be preferred.
> However the combination of the change of semantics with hasArgs and
> incorrect processing of parameters associated with the new semantics
> (cf. CLI-137) means that there appears to be a blocking problem in
> processing options such as -D where there can be any number of them on a
> command line -- there appears to be no problem with options that do not
> have Option.UNLIMITED_VALUES set.

Any idea for how 2.0 works with this?

Hen