commons-user mailing list archives

From simon <simon.kitch...@chello.at>
Subject Re: Links in tutorial leading to error 404
Date Wed, 29 Aug 2007 19:50:14 GMT
On Wed, 2007-08-29 at 21:27 +0200, Christian Oloff wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> while trying to learn more about jelly I ran into the following issue:
>
> Many of the links on http://commons.apache.org/jelly/tutorial.html lead
> to a 404 File not Found error. An example is the 'demo script' link in
> section JellySwing, 4th paragraph:
> http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/jakarta-commons/jelly/src/test/org/apache/commons/jelly/tags/swing/example.jelly?rev=HEAD&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup
> It is redirected to
> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/jakarta-commons/jelly/src/test/org/apache/commons/jelly/tags/swing/example.jelly?rev=HEAD&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

> which reports the 404 error.
>
> Could someone please fix it and / or could someone tell me how I can
> access the demo stuff in order to learn the basics about jelly? Or are
> there any other resources I can use?

It's partly due to the recent move from jakarta.apache.org/commons to
commons.apache.org. However it also seems to me that the tutorial links
are rather out-of-sync with the code anyway..

You'll find all the jelly files at their new home here:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/jelly/

It  looks like the tutorial refers to some older version of Jelly
though, as the swing/example.jelly file isn't exactly where your url is
looking for it. I found something that looks similar here:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/jelly/trunk/jelly-tags/swing/src/test/org/apache/commons/jelly/swing/

Jelly seems to have fallen out of favour over the last few years; I've
hardly seen anyone talking about it on the user lists and not a lot of
action on the dev lists either so I wouldn't say the changes of the
tutorial getting fixed are high...

Regards,

Simon