commons-user mailing list archives

From Russel Winder <rus...@russel.org.uk>
Subject Re: Commons CLI issue
Date Wed, 15 Aug 2007 08:42:16 GMT
On Tue, 2007-08-14 at 15:16 +0100, Henri Yandell wrote:
> On 8/13/07, Russel Winder <russel@russel.org.uk> wrote:
> > On Mon, 2007-08-13 at 09:19 +0200, Torsten Curdt wrote:
> >
> > > Please - please don't fork. I am sure we will get your patches in. We
> > > just need someone to push for it.
>
> +1

I'm hearing :-)

> > I believe Henri is more interested in the 1.x branch, which is why the 2.x
> > branch has not been progressed, but I am speaking from a position of
> > fairly deep ignorance.
>
> I'm equally interested :)

Cool.

> Getting a 1.1 release out made the most sense with the time available
> - plus Brian was energetic in that direction. When I tried to use CLI2
> I didn't like the API a lot, but I was just dabbling and not trying to
> get the extra features that it supports (I assume). I seem to recall I
> found it much more verbose than CLI1 which surprised me.

I think getting 1.1 out was an excellent move and an excellent decision.

The 1.x API is well known and makes some sense.  I am only now looking
at the 2.x API and because it is different, it is odd.  I guess I need
to write a few programs to see if it works.  I definitely do not like
having to say '--xml' as parameter when querying the command line, that
strikes me a retrograde.

I am assuming that the guys who created CLI2 created the new API not for
the sake of it, but because there were serious, unrectifiable problems
with the 1.x API.  I guess the question is whether this really is the
right position.

> Now my energy for CLI is squarely available for CLI2 if there's
> interest out there.

Yes there is, unless all the problems that started the 2.x branch can
actually be fixed in 1.x.

> I can see a CLI 1.2 someday if need be, but hopefully it'll just be a
> few bugfixes and we can have people use the snapshots for that branch.

I have put one blocker issue in for 1.1, I can start generating a few
more if that helps.

What I would like to see is 1.x-SNAPSHOT in the Maven 2 snapshot
repository so that progress towards 1.2 is clear and I can use it with
bug fixes for the Groovy distribution.  (We package Commons CLI in the
Groovy distribution so I can go with snapshots :-)

> > Clearly 1.1 has many bug fixes over 1.0 and so would be preferred.
> > However the combination of the change of semantics with hasArgs and
> > incorrect processing of parameters associated with the new semantics
> > (cf. CLI-137) means that there appears to be a blocking problem in
> > processing options such as -D where there can be any number of them on a
> > command line -- there appears to be no problem with options that do not
> > have Option.UNLIMITED_VALUES set.
>
> Any idea for how 2.0 works with this?

Not at the minute, I will have to have a play with 2.x.  I am not able
to progress properly this in the next couple of weeks, but from
mid-September onwards I can.

For me moving the whole of Commons CLI from Maven 1 to Maven 2 as the
primary build system would be good :-)

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder