commons-user mailing list archives

From Russel Winder <rus...@russel.org.uk>
Subject Re: Commons CLI issue
Date Mon, 13 Aug 2007 08:30:59 GMT
On Mon, 2007-08-13 at 09:19 +0200, Torsten Curdt wrote:

> Please - please don't fork. I am sure we will get your patches in. We
> just need someone to push for it.

That's what I like to hear :-)

The single biggest decision that needs to be made is whether the current
2.x branch is the future or whether it should be deleted and the 1.x
branch continue as the released CLI.  If 2.x is the future then there
needs to be a release and a version put into the Maven repository.  I
believe Henri is more interested in the 1.x branch, which is why the 2.x
branch has not been progressed, but I am speaking from a position of
fairly deep ignorance.

Clearly 1.1 has many bug fixes over 1.0 and so would be preferred.
However the combination of the change of semantics with hasArgs and
incorrect processing of parameters associated with the new semantics
(cf. CLI-137) means that there appears to be a blocking problem in
processing options such as -D where there can be any number of them on a
command line -- there appears to be no problem with options that do not
have Option.UNLIMITED_VALUES set.

As I say we can use the 1.0 semantics and hack round things, but we
cannot use 1.1 because of the incorrect processing :-(

The other thing I need is the -- option that terminates option
processing.  This is in 2.x but not in 1.x I believe.

If Commons CLI is to be reenergized (over and above what Henri did to
get 1.1 out) then this is a good thing.

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder