commons-user mailing list archives

From simon <simon.kitch...@chello.at>
Subject Re: [Digester] Generic digester patterns?
Date Thu, 02 Aug 2007 20:29:42 GMT
On Thu, 2007-08-02 at 18:55 +0200, Ernst de Haan wrote:
> > And by the way, you'll find plenty of examples in the digester source
> > download bundle. These can also be viewed directly via svn:
> > http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/digester/trunk/src/
> > examples/
>
> I looked at the examples (as well as the source code, incidentally),
> but I couldn't find any example that matched my needs. All the
> examples seem to have a simple hierarchical structure, not the kind
> of re-use I was expecting to find.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "re-use" here.

What you're trying to implement isn't that common I think. Generally it
is known what child xml elements a particular xml element can have, so
writing explicit rules isn't a problem. Yes, the rules need updating if
a new child element must be supported, but in general the java code
needs to be updated anyway (eg to add a new setter method on the parent
class) and everything needs to then be retested so having to modify the
digester rules at the same time doesn't seem to me to be a big concern.

Regards,

Simon