commons-user mailing list archives

From "Ingmar Kliche" <ingmar.kli...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [SCXML] Terminate/Halt SCXML state machine from external
Date Fri, 06 Jul 2007 21:33:38 GMT

> > I think doing this without markup should generally be avoided since it
> > makes the model incomplete. So, for example, an abrupt termination
> > would be an event trigger that takes us to a particular <final>. I
> > presume there is some reason you can't do it that way.
>

> One major reason is that I don't want to rely on the author. I'd like to
> be able to start a state machine and (under some circumstances) to terminate
> it from outside - without requiring the author to provide a special
> transition.
>
> Such support can probably be provided, but I am not too keen on it at
> > the moment.
> >
> > -Rahul
>

> Ingmar.

Wouldn't you actually have the same issue on <invoke>? How would you
implement the cancel of an <invoke>? Once the parent state machine leaves
the <invoke> state it is required to terminate the child state machine
(assuming it is a state machine). How would you do this?

The SimpleSCXMLInvoker implementation does not reflect this - as I
understand it. It saves "cancelled = true" and sends an invokeCancelResponse
message back, but it does not really touch the child state machine, i.e. the
state machine remains in the current state and may proceed internally
meanwhile.

Or am I missing something?

- Ingmar.