commons-user mailing list archives

From "Phil Steitz" <phil.ste...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: dbcp HSQL issue
Date Mon, 09 Jul 2007 04:53:18 GMT
On 7/8/07, Vernon <vsingleton@cfl.rr.com> wrote:
> Could some one help us figure this issue out?
>
> I am getting a NoSuchElementException with dbcp 1.2.2 as follows:
>
> 2007-07-08 01:58:14,063 CONFIG: org.jamwiki.Environment - Loading
> properties
> from /home/vds/downloads/apache-tomcat-6.0.13/webapps/jamwiki-0.6.0/WEB-INF/classes/sql.ansi.properties
2007-07-08 01:58:18,318 SEVERE: org.jamwiki.utils.Utilities - Invalid database settings org.apache.commons.dbcp.SQLNestedException:
Cannot get a connection, pool error: Could not create a validated object, cause: ValidateObject
failed at org.apache.commons.dbcp.PoolingDriver.connect(PoolingDriver.java:184) at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java:525)
at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java:193) at org.jamwiki.db.DatabaseConnection.setUpConnectionPool(DatabaseConnection.java:315)
at org.jamwiki.db.DatabaseConnection.testDatabase(DatabaseConnection.java:334) at org.jamwiki.utils.Utilities.validateSystemSettings(Utilities.java:1236)
at org.jamwiki.servlets.SetupServlet.validate(SetupServlet.java:199) at org.jamwiki.servlets.SetupServlet.initialize(SetupServlet.java:120)

> Farther down in the trace is this:
> Caused by: java.util.NoSuchElementException: Could not create a
> validated object, cause: ValidateObject failed at
> org.apache.commons.pool.impl.GenericObjectPool.borrowObject(GenericObjectPool.java:871)
at org.apache.commons.dbcp.PoolingDriver.connect(PoolingDriver.java:176) ... 54 more

> We are using the commons-dbcp API for a web application running in
> systems as follows:
>
>       * Fedora Core release 6 (Zod)
>       * apache-tomcat-6.0.13
>       * Java 1.5.0_06-b05
>       * embedded version of the HSQL database
>
> More details about this issue on our wiki here:
> http://jamwiki.org/wiki/en/Feedback#MORE_INSTALL_PROBLEMS
>
> If anyone can help me understand what I've done wrong, I would greatly
> appreciate it.
>
> - Vernon

Looks like you have the pool configured to validate objects when they
are borrowed (testOnBorrow = true) and the validation is failing.
This appears to be configured in the setupConnectionPool method here:
http://jamwiki.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/jamwiki/wiki/trunk/src/java/org/jamwiki/db/DatabaseConnection.java?revision=1489&view=markup
Most likely the validation query is incorrect or failing to return at
least one row.

hth,

Phil