commons-user mailing list archives

From "David J. M. Karlsen" <da...@davidkarlsen.com>
Subject Re: [transaction] Is this component really useful?
Date Sat, 07 Jul 2007 21:03:06 GMT
Oliver Zeigermann wrote:
> Folks!
>
> Does anyone really *need* transactional file operations?
>
> Doesn't the existing commons transaction implementation add way too
> much complexity to your applications?
>
> Couldn't you just write to the files and programmatically keep the
> previous version for recovery from fatal errors?
>
> I'd really appreciate honest comments.
I've been using it to write to open a stream with an transaction,
writing to this, and rolling it back if some sort of error occured - so
that the output of the program was consistent per file (which was per
user - in a dataconversion program).
I could probably have done this by hand - but it was helpful to me in
this usecase.

--
David J. M. Karlsen - +47 90 68 22 43
http://www.davidkarlsen.com