commons-user mailing list archives

From "Seva Popov" <seva_po...@tvworks.com>
Subject RE: [DBCP] The PerUserPoolDataSource/SharedPoolDataSource does not reuse/pool the db connections
Date Wed, 20 Jun 2007 07:06:10 GMT
Phil,

First of all, let me say thank you for your time and for the most useful detailed responses.
I've just realized that you are one of the DBCP's project developers and it's nice to know
that you guys care about the project and its users.

Now, I understand how the DBCP's InstanceKeyDataSource pool is communicating with the CPDS
implementation. My previous understanding of the contract between a pool manager and a CPDS
was wrong but I guess I got it right now. The provided links to the Oracle documentation proved
to be very useful and explanatory as well.

Yes, I am using an older Oracle version 9i with the ojdbc14-9i client driver jar. The main
source of confusion I believe stems from the fact that in this version of Oracle the OracleDataSource
and the OracleConnectionPoolDataSource both return the object of type OracleConnection when
the client calls ds.getConnection(). However, in the former case the OracleConnection object
represents a physical database connection but in the latter case the same OracleConnection
object is a logical connection i.e. the temporary handle to the physical database connection.
I guess Oracle guys realized that this was not very good and cleaned up their jdbc implementation
in the later releases. Yet, it'd be interesting to decompile the OracleConnection and see
how it's working, for example, look at its close() method.

Anyway, I've tried to check the number of physical connections open in my test. I do not have
Oracle monitor installed nor could I use the ps since I am using the Oracle jdbc thin driver
in my configuration (I guess you used oci driver + oci client but that does not replicate
my test configuration).

But, concluding from the results of netstat -apn | grep 1521, I did verified that there are
only 2 physical connections open to the database after I've run the test.

So, the pool is working correctly and all my questions are resolved. Thanks again for support.

--Seva