commons-user mailing list archives

From tyju tiui <jckdnk...@yahoo.com>
Subject File Segment VFS?
Date Tue, 05 Jun 2007 21:23:07 GMT
Hello list,

I am in need of a virtual filesystem which allows me to map specific segments of a file to
a real File object. Essentially, I'd like to create a config file/object which defines segments
of a real file as File objects with a new name, length, etc ... My VFS will then read that
file and provide access to the segments as if they were their own file.

Some thoughts:

  - it would have to be read-only of course
  - could provide concurrent access via nio possibly
  - a simple java bean could be serialized / un-serialized to provide the VFS definition /
config
  - I want to stay away from in-memory storage to better support large files

I'm not sure what else should be considered so any thoughts / suggestions would be appreciated.

Also, if anyone knows of a project similar to this, I am all for code re-use (license permitting
of course).

Finally, if there any current method of casting a VFS FileObject to a standard File object?

Thanks,

Ty