commons-user mailing list archives

From Dave Westerman <>
Subject Re: [commons-configuration] Variable Syntax Conflict
Date Mon, 25 Jun 2007 22:17:42 GMT
Oliver, thanks for the info. I am indeed using release 1.3. And you're
right, the $$ does escape the variable character, in some circumstances.

I didn't get much time to work on this today, but when I changed it to
only have one entry in the property that looks like a variable, it works

However, if I have multiple entries, that is when I am getting the error:

I need to do some more testing, to see what combinations of this work
and which ones don't. But thanks for giving me something to go on!

Oliver Heger wrote:
> Hi Dave,
> which version of Commons Configuration do you use? Since the 1.3
> release substituation of variables is handled by the StrSubstitutor
> class of Commons Lang [1]. Here the '$' sign is used for escaping
> variables, so your 3rd example
> myproperty=$${myNonCommonsConfigVariable}
> should work. There is also a unit test that checks this behavior:
>     public void testInterpolationEscaped()
>     {
>         config.addProperty("var", "x");
>         config.addProperty("escVar", "Use the variable $${${var}}.");
>         assertEquals("Wrong escaped variable", "Use the variable
> ${x}.", config
>                 .getString("escVar"));
>     }
> IIRC in earlier versions of Configuration escaping variables was not
> supported.
> Oliver

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: