commons-user mailing list archives

From Jason Novotny <novo...@gridsphere.org>
Subject commons-logging and log4j headaches
Date Thu, 07 Jun 2007 01:16:28 GMT

Hi,

I'm trying to use log4j and commons-logging in the simplest app and I
get the infamous

(org.stockstats.tools.UpdateSymbols).

In my classpath, I made sure I have commons-logging, log4j jars and my
log4j.properties file as follows and I even turned on log4j debugging
which claims that no log4j.properties file is found!

[fuzzmonkey:~/StockStats] novotny% java  -Dlog4j.debug -cp
lib/log4j.properties:lib/commons-codec-1.3.jar:lib/commons-httpclient-3.1-rc1.jar:lib/commons-logging-1.0.4.jar:lib/log4j.properties:lib/log4j-1.2.11.jar:build/lib/stockstats-1.0.jar:.

org.stockstats.tools.Main
log4j: Trying to find [log4j.xml] using context classloader
sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader@a9c85c.
log4j: Trying to find [log4j.xml] using
sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader@a9c85c class loader.
log4j: Trying to find [log4j.xml] using ClassLoader.getSystemResource().
log4j: Trying to find [log4j.properties] using context classloader
sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader@a9c85c.
log4j: Trying to find [log4j.properties] using
sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader@a9c85c class loader.
log4j: Trying to find [log4j.properties] using
ClassLoader.getSystemResource().
log4j: Could not find resource: [null].
(org.stockstats.tools.UpdateSymbols).

The only way I can get it to work is if I explicitly add
-Dlog4configuration=file:///tmp/log4j.properties to specify the file
location. I just cannot see why it can't find it in the classpath when I
specified it explicitly.

Thanks, Jason