commons-user mailing list archives

From "Rahul Akolkar" <rahul.akol...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [SCXML] Event types
Date Tue, 22 May 2007 02:58:29 GMT
On 5/21/07, Nestor Urquiza <nestoru@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi Rahul,
>
> Talking about this I do not know if I posted about it before ( lazy now to search in
the archives ) but at some point I ( at least ) thought about a special event let us say "app.error"
that I was hoping to use from a custom action for example to provide an "exception" mechanism.

> In a glance imagine your custom action needs to stop the normal course of your SCXML
code. I was hoping to use the type ERROR to define a special event called "app.error" that
would be included in the transition element to specify where to go when an unexpected exception
occurs.

> My guess a while ago was that it would be great to make commons-SCXML "exception aware"
meaning that if for some reason an event of ERROR type is raised the complete state machine
would stop processing the current logic triggerred by a regular event and would then proceed
to the transitions to move the FSM to a state corresponding to the error event transition
target.

> Makes sense?

<snip/>

Yes, users can leverage the event types (either existing or new /
user-defined) to have application-specific semantics, as you indicate
above. However, Commons SCXML itself does not use the type
information.

-Rahul