commons-user mailing list archives

From Nestor Urquiza <>
Subject Re: [SCXML] Event types
Date Mon, 21 May 2007 18:29:04 GMT
Hi Rahul,

Talking about this I do not know if I posted about it before ( lazy now to search in the archives
) but at some point I ( at least ) thought about a special event let us say "app.error" that
I was hoping to use from a custom action for example to provide an "exception" mechanism.

In a glance imagine your custom action needs to stop the normal course of your SCXML code.
I was hoping to use the type ERROR to define a special event called "app.error" that would
be included in the transition element to specify where to go when an unexpected exception

My guess a while ago was that it would be great to make commons-SCXML "exception aware" meaning
that if for some reason an event of ERROR type is raised the complete state machine would
stop processing the current logic triggerred by a regular event and would then proceed to
the transitions to move the FSM to a state corresponding to the error event transition target.

Makes sense?

----- Original Message ----
From: Rahul Akolkar <>
To: Jakarta Commons Users List <>
Sent: Monday, May 21, 2007 1:06:18 PM
Subject: Re: [SCXML] Event types

On 5/20/07, Hanh-Missi Tran <> wrote:
> Hi
> A TriggerEvent object is associated with a type (CALL_EVENT,
> SIGNAL_EVENT, ..) but   I don't know what they are used for. I look in
> the source code but whenever an event is handled, its type is not used
> (I'm wrong ?). So can someone tell me what they may be used for ?

You are correct, the type information is not used.

One of the intents of providing that was to use it as potential basis
for priority (for example, a CHANGE_EVENT, since its usually a derived
event, would have a lower priority etc.) -- but that was never
realized in code (or spec).

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: