commons-user mailing list archives

From david2 <David.Bue...@l-3comcept.com>
Subject HttpMethodBase.setConnectionCloseForced(boolean)
Date Tue, 08 May 2007 15:21:30 GMT

We have an application that creates MANY short-term (< 1 second) client
connections, but they are not be closed immediately and stay in a TIME_WAIT
state for the full TcpTimedWaitDelay (30 seconds on Windows XP).  We would
like them to be closed immediately (during cleanup).

I would like to modify (hack) the
HttpMethodBase.setConnectionCloseForced(boolean) method to make it public.
On the other hand, if this pursuit is going to be disasterous, I don't even
want to go down that road.

Does anyone know the reason why this method was made protected and not
public, as well as whether or not making it public will create great and
grave problems elsewhere?  Or (preferably), what is the correct means of
always forcing a shared HttpClient, ConnectionManager, etc. to always close
its connections during cleanup?
Thanks,
-David