commons-user mailing list archives

From "Rahul Akolkar" <>
Subject Re: [exec] Watchdog test cases and argument quotation fix
Date Mon, 23 Apr 2007 17:12:52 GMT
On 4/20/07, Reinhold Fuereder <> wrote:
> Hello Brett et al.,
> Please find attached a patch for apache commons exec with respect to two issues (note
that I have only tested them under M$ Windows yet, but I am very confident that these changes
should work under *nix too):

Please consider posting to JIRA [1] instead. That way, it will remain
on the radar (and we won't have to remember to CC you on replies
either). Thanks.

[1]  (use component "Exec")

> ---
> (1) ExecuteWatchdog test cases ( one for synchronous and one
for asynchronous execution including the required test scripts (watchdog.bat,
and test app ( Whereas the one for asynchronous is a bit more elaborated and
kind of "more correct", please note the hint on the well-known Java "bug"/issue under M$ Windows
with respect to the Process.destroy() method in the asynchronous test case code.
> ---
> (2) Add a method to CommandLine ( to add arguments without quoting,
i.e. pre-quoted arguments, because default quoting may not be correct in all cases. Note that
I have not tried to find out if the default quoting can be changed accordingly. And also that
maybe this problem is only M$ Windows specific, but I don't know (yet). The encountered problem
> I want to start an executable (runMemorySud.cmd) with a list of JVM GC options that in
turn will then start a Java application utilising these JVM GC options. I failed to find an
accepted way of specifying the following:
> runMemorySud.cmd -XX:+UseParallelGC -XX:ParallelGCThreads=2
> After quite some time I found out that the default quoting of apache commons exec is
causing the problem, and with default pure standard Java it works as expected by using (see
attached example):
> Process p = new ProcessBuilder("runMemorySud.cmd", "10", "30", "-XX:+UseParallelGC",
> However, as I said, I found no way of being able to "propagate this to the ProcessBuilder
through apache commons exec". Thus, the need for adding a so-called pre-quoted argument addArgument()
> ---
> Would you mind applying these patches?
> Thanks,
>         Reinhold
> P.S.: Please CC me in your potential responses as I am not subscribed to this mailing

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message